I think you have to be able to paint well to be an artist. The craft makes the art. If you cannot control the medium, make exactly the light, the colour you want, what exactly are you doing?. If you accidentally make a piece that appears to be something more that in it is, is it art? Is there such a thing as #accidental art? One certainly can #paint something #beautiful by mistake, I've done it lots of times!! But if I meant to express one thing and by accident expressed something else, maybe equally meaningful in some sense, am I an artist? Or just a poor painter!
If what I think is true, all great art has an underpinning of controlled technique. Even the most abstract, or apparently simple art requires technique. But, where is the line between between a painting by a child, clear in intent, harmonic without guile, with a flawless composition because she didn't know 'better', and 'great art'? The child likely cannot draw perfectly nor mix nuanced colours 'on purpose'. If the piece is astounding, is it art? Or just a painting by a child? oh dear.
No comments:
Post a Comment